An endocrinologist diagnoses and treats diseases of the hormone-producing glands, i.e. the endocrine glands. The most common problem is hormonal deficiency (e.g. insulin deficiency in type 1 diabetes) or excess (e.g. excess thyroid hormone in hyperthyroidism). In addition, endocrinologists deal with benign and malignant tumours of the endocrine glands. Hormonal imbalances can manifest in vastly different ways depending on the specific disorder. Endocrine disorders should be considered when experiencing symptoms such as rapid weight changes, heart rhythm disorders, hyperhidrosis, excessively high or low blood pressure, sexual dysfunctions as well as osteoporosis and urinary stone disease.
Noteworthy professional further training
Continuous self-improvement is part of being a doctor. Keeping up to date with new research, treatment guidelines and the experience of colleagues keeps me from succumbing to routine and helps me provide a better service to patients. I regularly participate in the annual conferences of the European Society of Endocrinology, the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) and the American Diabetes Association (ADA). Professional training with respect to a specific group of diseases has also become increasingly important for me as it presents an opportunity to learn from the best specialists in Europe and the world.
- Virtual EASD Annual Meeting 2021
- “Rudolf Buchheim 200: New Essays on the Doctrine of Drugs”, oral presentation
- 29-30.04.2021 World MEN Forum
- 04.2021 European Society of Endocrinology Clinical Update on Cushing’s Syndrome, oral presentation
- Harvard Postgraduate Course in Diabetes, 10.2020-03.2021 (online course)
- American Diabetes Association 78th Scientific Sessions, 22-26.06.18 USA, Orlando
- 53rd EASD Annual Meeting, 11-15.09.2017, Portugal, Lisbon
- 1st Baltic Real World Evidence Seminar, 10.03.2017, Latvia, Riga
- 52nd EASD Annual Meeting, 13-16.09.2016, Germany, Munich
- ECE 2016 28-31.05.2016, Germany, Munich
- 8th Baltic Congress of Endocrinology and 8th ESE Clinical Update, 14-15.04.2016, Tallinn
- 51st EASD Annual Meeting, 14-18.09.2015, Sweden, Stockholm
- Clinical training UT Southwestern Medical Center, 31.10-30.11.2014, USA, Dallas.
- Nordic Neuroendocrine Symposium, 14.03.2013, Denmark, Copenhagen.
- Novartis Pituitary Expert Forum, 16-18.11.2012, Germany, Munich.
- ICE/ ECE 2012, 05-09.05.2012, Italy, Florence.
Membership in professional organisations
- Estonian Society of Endocrinology
- European Society of Endocrinology
- Estonian Medical Association
Individualising diabetes treatment, insulin pump therapy for adults, the role of lifestyle in preventing and controlling chronic disease.
I mostly spend my free time with my family. With our children we enjoy exercise, taking walks in nature and looking after the garden and our two happy spaniels. I’m intrigued by items with history and by beautiful architecture. I also always enjoy a good read.