Treatment for dry eye syndromeLook for appointment times
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment for dry eye syndrome.
In today’s world, many people spend numerous hours a day watching monitors, phones and television. Have you ever wondered how our eyes react to this and what happens to them?
If the eye is not sufficiently moistened with tear fluid, it will start to dry out. This is because we do not blink often enough. This can cause discomfort, impaired vision and even serious health problems.
Symptoms of dry eye syndrome:
- Itching, burning sensation in the eyes
- Increased photosensitivity
- Eye discomfort and fatigue
- Redness of the eyes
- Feeling of a foreign body in the eye
- Eyelid sensitivity and irritation
- Impaired vision
Causes of dry eye syndrome
The main cause of dry eye syndrome is the long-term constant work behind the screen. The syndrome affects many office workers and can include headaches, neck pain, decreased visual acuity, dry eyes, tiredness, and tearing. Eye drops can certainly help with this problem, but unfortunately they have to be chosen individually and their effects are only temporary.
If you work behind the screen for a long time, you can do the following to prevent dry eye syndrome.
- Make your workplace ergonomic.
- Avoid reflected light sources (lamps and sunlight) on the screen.
- The eyes should be slightly above the top of the screen.
- The distance between the eyes and the monitor must be at least 50-75 cm.
- Exercising and taking regular breaks of at least 10 to 15 minutes can help to relax your eyes.
- Lenses can also cause dry eye syndrome. Despite constant care and cleaning, a patient who permanently wears contact lenses may not escape the feeling of dry eyes because the lenses have a poor effect on the quality of the tears and the eyes “dry out”.
- A fairly common cause of dry eyes is hormonal disorders. The consistency of tears also changes during the body’s metabolic processes. The properties of tears that have become very liquid are no longer the same and do not protect the cornea from drying out.
- Medicines, especially antidepressants and oral contraceptives, have a strong effect on our hormonal balance. Due to the disturbance of the hormonal balance, the quality of the tears changes.
- Dry air at home or in the office. Tears, the main function of which is to moisturize the eye, simply dry out in such conditions, instead of nourishing the cornea and supplying it with oxygen. Due to a lack of oxygen and nutrients, the condition of the cornea gradually deteriorates.
Description of the IPL procedure in the treatment of dry eye syndrome
Confido laser therapy offers a modern and eye-safe method of solving this problem, Medical IPL (with the world’s leading manufacturer Lumenis M22). It is an effective eye treatment that helps to improve the quality of tears and increase tear production in the long run.
Intense pulsed light with strictly fixed wavelengths and moderate pulsed power has a direct effect on the causes of dry eye syndrome. Pathological blood vessels decrease, the mouth of the Meibom glands opens, the number and activity of bacteria and Demodex mites decrease, the activity of the Meibom glands is restored and tears return to normal. The effect of the procedure is much more stable and lasts for months.
Frequently asked Questions
The procedure lasts 10-15 minutes, the patient lies with his eyes closed, in front of special glasses. IPL works directly through the eyelid without damaging the skin.
Do not sunbathe for at least two weeks before and after the procedure. Contact your doctor for more information.
Even one procedure has some positive effects. However, for best results, you should go through an average of four procedures (every 2 to 4 weeks).
The effect of the procedure is felt for 6-9 months, after which it is recommended to repeat the procedure.
Contraindications are minimal and are usually limited to inflammatory diseases of the eyelid skin. More specific to you